Friday, November 15, 2019

Music Video Research

I am now finished with my commercial and have turned it in. I enjoyed filming and editing it and feel as if I learned a lot. I'm satisfied with the outcome, especially since I know that I helped make it turn out the way it did. I was able to use what I learned about things like camera shots, angles, movement to film the commercial. After we filmed, I used what I learned about Pinnacle Studios to edit. Now, we were assigned a music video to a  song of our choice. I am very excited to start this and I hope it will be as enjoyable and fulfilling as creating the commercial was.

We are going to be shooting a music video of the song "Sunflower" by Post Malone. The genre that "Sunflower" is qualifies as pop. The song is a part of  a movie soundtrack from the movie 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse". The discussion happened mainly out of school since not all the teammates were in class at the time. We didn't really have any arguments when deciding what song to choose. Both of us liked the song and had heard it before so we both agreed on it. This was the first song we considered and we just stuck with it.

A lot of music videos in the pop genre have common conventions that they seem to follow. For example, they often have bright and vibrant colors. This is very eye-catching and grabs the audience's attention. In many music videos they utilize panning and tilting to show the subject. Tracking is frequently used to follow what the subject is doing. In the original "Sunflower" music video they tracked the main character throughout New York and in doing so, showed him going from scene to scene. In a lot of pop music videos, they use medium shots and full body shots on the subject. They also had close ups to show either singing or something meaningful. Along with the closeups, zooming was fairly common. In pop music videos, a lot of the costumes are dramatic and striking. The lighting is very dramatic as well as being either very dark or extremely bright. The acting usually tells a story and the actors could be acting like they are in a film rather than a music video. The makeup could be either subtle or intense and usually matches the costume. The props depend on the story being told in the video. The setting varies based on what they want to achieve through the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Audience and Institution Practice Essay

Assess the importance of marketing in the media area you have studied.             Marketing in the area of film is extremely importa...